Make Your Case Essay Contest
2014-2015 Academic Year
The Ratio Christi Student Apologetics Alliance at Sam Houston State University announces the Make Your Case Essay Contest, which will be active during the 2014-2015 academic year.
The Contest will encourage
- Critical thinking on spiritual matters and the Christian world view.
- Clear articulation of individual opinions.
- Dialog in print and in person on the strengths and weakness of the Christian world view.
- Respectful presentation of contrary views in person, in print, and on the web.
The contest is restricted to students who are enrolled in Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 semesters at Sam Houston State University. The contest will be announced, advertised, and discussed during the Fall semester in print, at the regular Ratio Christi meetings (Thursdays, 6-7 PM in CFS 123), and on the Ratio Christi at SHSU blog. The Essay deadline is November 21 – the Friday before the Thanksgiving holiday.
The essays will be evaluated during the Spring semester against the following criteria:
- Is the essay well-written (grammatically correct, constructed with forethought, articulate)?
- Is the essay free from common logical fallacies?
- If opposing views are addressed, is the essay respectful and knowledgeable of the view it is opposing. For straw-man arguments, see criterion 2.
- Is the essay original? The essays should not be plagiarized from blogs or books on the topic. If portions of an argument are borrowed, the borrowed work should be cited.
The winners will be announced at the Ratio Christi meeting the Thursday before Spring Break. All contestants are encouraged to attend this meeting for a reception and photos.
Grand Prize: $100 VISA gift card will be awarded to the following:
- Best Case FOR Christianity
- Best Case AGAINST Christianity
Runner-up Prizes: Gift cards for runner-up essays may be awarded by the evaluation team at their sole discretion.
The best essays for and against will be published online (and perhaps in print). Ratio Christi is an organization that presents a case for the Christian world view. Therefore, Christian responses to the best essays against Christianity will be published online (and perhaps in print).
Ratio Christi receives the copyright of all submitted essays. This is required for publication. Essays are limited to 1500 words - strictly enforced.