Ethics Week - Scott Rae - Doing the Right Thing at the Beginning of Life
Oct. 04, 2013
Doing the Right Thing Week: A University Exploration of Ethics
Sept. 30 - Oct. 4
Day #5 (Oct. 4) - Dr. Scott Rae - Doing the Right Thing at the Beginning of Life - University of California Irvine
Dr. Scott Rae, Professor and Chair of Philosophy of Religion and Ethics at Biola University and author of 6 books, will devote this session to an exploration of ethical issues around the beginning of life. We will address important questions of who belongs in the human community, the rights that belong to embryos, fetuses, newborns and pregnant women, and the role of technology in shaping the discussion.
Our society has determined that life is to be valued on a sliding scale and all too often that value is determined in line with our desires and not the needs of the life in question. With abortion and euthanasia readily accepted how are we to approach this issue? Is placing an absolute value on human life possible and reasonable?
A question/answer session will follow the presentation.
This event will also be available live as an online video stream to indivduals and groups around the world.
"Ethics Week 2013" is a nation wide university initiative to focus on a discussion of the foundation of morality, how do we determine what is right and wrong, and what it means to live ethically. These are questions that every college student, indeed every person on the planet, must grapple with as the answers affect government, society, our families, and ourselves.
5 Universities, 5 Nights, 5 Big Questions
- MONDAY Sept. 30 (6:30pm EDT) | Georgia Tech | Truth, Justice, and the Restoration of Reason | Dr. Michael Miller (Acton Institute)
- TUESDAY Oct. 1 (8pm EDT | Rutgers University | Sexuality & Marriage: What's Ethics Got to do With It?" | Kellie Fiedorek (Alliance Defending Freedom) & Ryan T. Anderson (Heritage Foundation)
WEDNESDAY Oct. 2 (8pm EDT) | Ohio University | The History of American Eugenics - Lessons for the Second Genetic Century | Dr. Chris Hook (Mayo Clinic)
- Plus panel discussion: Can we safely and successfully re-engineer humanity? (noon - 1:30 EDT) | Chris Hook, Scott Carson, Scott Robe
- THURSDAY Oct. 3 (8pm EDT) | Texas A&M | Does Natural Law Require a Moral Law Giver? | Dr. Francis Beckwith (Baylor University)
- FRIDAY Oct. 4 (7pm EDT) | UC Irvine | Doing the Right Thing at the Beginning of Life | Dr. Scott Rae (Biola University)
This national series and dialogue is being sponsored by Ratio Christi, The Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview, and the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF).
In conjunction with Doing the Right Thing Week the ADF is sponsoring FREE2DISAGREE, a campaign for free speech on campus. As a student at a public college or university, do you have the opportunity to express your beliefs or viewpoint? What if the prevailing sentiment on campus is against you? Would you be free to disagree with your peers? Your professors? Doing the Right Thing Week will challenge what you think--in a good way. Free2Disagree will challenge you to speak up. Agree or disagree, robust discussion is worth the effort. And if you ever find yourself unfairly censored or punished for expressing your views on campus, check out www.SpeakUpMovement.org/University
Be free. Free to Disagree.
Simulcast: Each of the five evenings of Ethics Week events will be available live by online video stream. The simulcast can be watched by an individual, a small group, or a large gathering. You, your church, youth group, university group, or other gathering can watch for one day, multiple days, or all five days for the same price . . . free. Details here.
We hope you can join us.
- 4 - 5 pm, Q & A 5 - 5:30 pm Pacific Time (7-8:30 pm Eastern)
- University of California Irvine
- UCI Student Center, Pacific Ballroom "C"
- Pereira Drive and W. Peltason Drive
- Irvine, California 92697
- Admission Details:
- Free Admission. Online live stream also available.
- For More Info:
- Additional Links
- Facebook Event
- Ethics Week Website
- Live online stream registration
- The Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview
- Ratio Christi
- Alliance Defending Freedom's 'Speak Up Movement'
- RC at UC Irvine Facebook Page
- Related Organizations
- Ratio Christi
- Colson Center
- Alliance Defending Freedom
- Biola University - Apologetics
Meeting Day: TBD Meeting Time: TBD TBA - Contact us for details
Meeting locations are subject to change.
Have a question? Contact Us