What is Ratio Christi?
Ratio Christi (Latin for ‘The Reason of Christ’) is a non-profit, tax exempt (501c3) organization encouraging and strengthening the faith of Christian students at universities around the world through the use of intellectual investigation and apologetics while sharing Christ's message and love to those that have yet to receive it.
We believe that Christians have failed to address the pressing questions of worldview, science, philosophy, history, and the other academic disciplines. Consequently, the Secular Humanist worldview has overtaken the university and the minds of students. Ratio Christi, a Student Apologetics Alliance, places Christian apologetics clubs at secular, liberal, religious, public, and private universities around the world in order to take part in the battle for the mind, and begin to reverse the Humanist trend of thought by providing and equipping students with the answers, or means of getting the answers, to the pressing questions of life that shape our worldview.
These chapters have regular meetings where students and faculty can wrestle with ideas relating to the intellectual credibility of Christianity by encouraging dialogue and stimulating discussion. Scripture commands us not only to develop our heart, but also our minds (Matt 22:37), and Ratio Christi seeks to help university students fulfill this commandment.
See Ratio Christi's purpose, mission, and vision here.
What is the Objective of Ratio Christi?
Simply put - A Renaissance of Christian Thinking in the University. We want to re-establish a strong and reasoned presence of Christian thinking in academia.
Our goal is to place apologetics clubs at all major universities. Situating Ratio Christi chapters at universities around the world is an important step in reversing the skepticism that permeates most educational institutions. We desire to partner in taking back the mind of the University for Christ. By equipping Christian students we believe many students will not only hold onto a faith that they might otherwise abandon, but they will also begin to stand up for Christianity when it comes under fire in the classroom. Furthermore, we want to train students to be conversational evangelists who can in turn train others to defend and proclaim the Gospel.
Ratio Christi also provides a safe and charitable venue for atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and adherents to any religion to investigate the claims of Christianity, discuss religious beliefs, and seek truth without fearing reprisal. While this is a distinctly Christian organization, any student is able to become a member and learn, debate, and explore the connection of faith and reason.
HOW DO WE PLAN TO ACCOMPLISH THIS?
- By serving the academy. By serving the body of Christ. By serving the apologetics movement. By serving unbelievers. By serving each other.
- By doing the hard labor of discipleship as it relates to Christians applying their minds to their walk and witness. We desire to be the ground troops in the movement to re-establish Christian thinking as a potent influence in society. This can only be accomplished by serving day in and day out on the campus.
How does Ratio Christi work?
- Ratio Christi functions as a campus club much in the same way as Cru,InterVarsity, or other campus ministries. We meet on a weekly basis to discuss apologetics and worldview from various angles. It is not lecture oriented, but discussion oriented. In this sense, it is “student-led” as students are the ones engaging ideas and engaging each other. A Chapter Director who is a trained apologist serves to guide Ratio Christi students through weekly discussions.
- In addition to weekly discussion meetings, it will be the goal of each chapter to have annual campus-wide events at the university. These events (lectures, debates, forums, etc) share the gospel with thousands of students on any given campus.
So…what’s the plan?
To establish Ratio Christi chapters at every major institution across the nation and continue efforts around the world. Including secular, private, and Christian institutions and major universities to technical schools and community colleges.
- Many qualified apologists/thinkers around the country are without a forum to exercise their abilities and skills since apologetics is not a major market for employment. However, Ratio Christi offers an appropriately structured environment for these apologists to begin ministerial work within the discipline while affecting and inspiring the lives of students. Ratio Christi is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization.
- Ratio Christi partners with graduates from various other Christian worldview minded schools such as Biola, SES, HBU, Liberty, Luther Rice, NOBTS and others.
To coordinate with other ministries in order to meet the demands of the academy. Essentially, Ratio Christi will help be a catalyst for other ministries to speak to college students.
- Currently Ratio Christi collaborates with many other ministries such as Summit Ministries, CrossExamined, Stand to Reason, Reasons to Believe, Tactical Faith, and more. On our individual campuses we also work heavily with other campus ministries like InterVarsity, Campus Crusade, Chi Alpha, Baptist Campus Ministries, etc.
- Ratio Christi sees the value in other ministries that do not necessarily focus on apologetics and Christian worldview topics. We see it as vitally important that our members know of and have access to various ministries in order to have a solid worldview that relates to all of reality. More on this topic here.
To enhance the work of Christian thinkers on all worldview topics by providing the academic stage to voice ideas.
- Ratio Christi has served as a platform for major Christian thinkers: William Lane Craig, Gary Habermas, Hugh Ross, William Dembski, Norman Geisler, Frank Turek, and many more.
- Ratio Christi has served as a platform for lesser known, but excellent, Christian thinkers.
To provide the necessary follow-up to major campus-wide events, thus preventing the “in-one-ear-out-the-other” effect major events can leave behind