John has had two careers; the first as a realtor and real estate developer. He developed several large subdivisions in southwestern Fort Wayne. Then he was asked to take over the reins of the family business. From 1980 to present John has served as President and CEO of Aunt Millie's Bakeries, Inc.; a regional commercial bakery serving the six-state Great Lakes Region. John is the third generation to lead Aunt Millie's Bakeries which was founded in Fort Wayne by John's maternal grandfather, J.B. Franke in 1901.
John has also served on the following boards:
• Quality Bakers of America
• President, Allen County Indiana Park Board
• Served 16 years on Southwest Allen County Indiana School Board
• Chairman of the Independent Bakers Association
• Vice President of the Fort Wayne Women's Care Center; a pro-life counseling charity
• Board member of the Euell Wilson Center; a Christian outreach to inner-city youth in Fort Wayne, Indiana
• Board member of the Indiana Commission for Higher Education
• Active in supporting conservative, pro-life, limited government, free enterprise political candidates
John graduated from the University of Michigan in 1954 with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree, and after graduation served in the U.S. Army (1954-1956) as Chief of Review and Analysis Division for Ordnance Training Command at Aberdeen, Maryland.